Thursday, February 3, 2011

Three More Reciepes

Here are some more awesome recipes!

Yummy healthy salad

 Grate 2 carrots -I don't have a mandolin so I just used a peeler

 A handful of crasins -add however much or little you like

 1 apple diced -I used gala because that's what Bill likes and it's what we had


1 chopped radicchio - it is a blood purifier and a sleep aid

Ta da! It's so colorful :) I put a little orange juice and mixed it up to keep the apples from going brown and help break down the radicchio


Home made Butter
My mom bought me this book A Slice of Organic Life it has lots of really great information in it. I'm probably going to have to do a post just about this book. It has in it instructions on how to make your own butter.

First you need a clean glass jar. We used a peanut butter jar. 
Then fill the jar about halfway with heavy cream. We used Horizon organic heavy whipping cream. 

  Then add a pinch of salt

Then shake like crazy! Liam was a real trooper he shook it for about 15 minutes!

 After 15 minutes it looked like this. I thought it was done so I put it down and made scones to go with it (see below)

 Then I picked it up about 15 minutes later and started shaking it again and all of the sudden it separated into butter and buttermilk! So I poured off the buttermilk. I kept shaking it and pouring off the buttermilk into it formed a ball (I accidentally deleted that photo)

Bill thought it was really cool and decided to see if I was making any mistakes (as he likes to do) and he gave the butter an "ice wash" which is supposed to make the butter last longer. He broke the butter ball up and then pours some ice water into it and stirred it. Then he poured the water out. It was all foggy, He did this 4 or 5 times until the water poured out clear. Then the butter was done!


Scones

This recipe is from Vegan Lunchbox an awesome cookbook that I got from Whole Foods. I've posted about making Pumpkin Muffins from this book before.


The actual recipe is for Blueberry Lemon scones but I didn't have any lemons and I wanted cranberry scones and Bill wanted plain scones so thats what I made.

The recipe calls for 1 cup of all purpose flour and 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour. But I don't have and never use all purpose flour. So I used 1 cup of regular whole wheat flour, and 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour. You can see the difference the pastry flour is a lighter color on bottom.

1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt

 My little helper pouring in 1/4 cup of melted butter. Even when/if I go vegan I won't use margarine, it is so full of fake garbage. I'd rather use nothing.

Add 1/2 cup milk. I used organic cows milk for this one. Then mix it together by hand I had to add maybe 1/4 cup more milk (a little at a time) because it was so dry it just wouldn't stick together! I knew scones were crumbly so I didn't want to add to much. 

 Cut the dough in half and form 2 circles. Then cut each circle in 6 pieces. For the cranberry ones I added a tablespoon or 2 of honey and 1/4 - 1/2 cup of cranberries. Then I painted the tops of half of the plain and half of the cranberry with milk and sprinkled some sugar.

My goofy little helper loved them. So did I! Bill said they were a little dry. Probably because I used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose. Try them yourself and tell me what you think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment