Monday, February 21, 2011

Two more recipes

I know, I always add three recipes at a time but I couldn't think of a third. Anyway these are two really really good recipes almost worth three. lol


 Super Quick and Easy Whole Wheat Bread
 I can't remember where I found this recipe. I didn't know if it would be good or not, I've been looking for a good bread recipe for a while. This one is really easy and really good.

 Have your favorite little chef help you pour 1 cup of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt
 Then mix it with various utensils :)
 Then realize you can make magic disappearing clouds if you clap when your hands are covered in flour
 1 cup of oats

1-1/2 Tablespoons of honey
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup of milk
 Mix together
Form a ball and place on a baking sheet


Bake at 450*F for 20 minutes



When it's done you should knock on it and hear a hollow sound.
It's really to eat! 
This bread would go really well with home made butter!


Chili Your Way
Here is a delicious chili recipe from a great Vegetarian cookbook called "Better than peanut butter & jelly: Quick vegetarian meals your kids will Love!" We love this recipe but, it makes a lot of food so unless you have a big family be prepared to have leftovers.


1 can (15.5oz) of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
 
1 can (15oz) of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (I didn't have any chickpeas today so I used black beans instead)

1 can (15oz) of white kidney beans, drained and rinsed (these are also called cannellini beans)
 
3 cans (14.5oz each) stewed tomatoes


 1 small can (8oz) corn, drained (I use a 15oz can just because I can't find any organic corn in an 8oz size and I never end up using the leftover corn)

1 zucchini, sliced (I didn't have a zucchini handy but I do usually add it and it's great)
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced

Saute zucchini, carrots, and sweet potato until crisp-tender in a sauce pan coated with olive oil

Combine beans, corn, tomatoes,and sauteed vegetables in a large pot

Add seasonings:
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tablespoon cilantro chopped
2 Tablespoons chili powder
Dash cumin and red pepper flakes - I don't add the red pepper because it would be too spicy for Liam but I do add Asafoetida to help with digestion (it also supposedly helps fight the flu and helps prevent asthma, bronchitis and whooping cough)


 
Cook slowly for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Lots of protein, lots of vegetables and lots of colors.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment